Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Play Day

Yesterday was a little play day for the students at International Institute of Massage Therapy. "Why", you might ask? "Because I said so"! ha ha ha ... just kidding.


Because I'm still substituting just reading over the material wasn't cutting it for the majority of the students. So, thinking quickly on my feet, I busted out the dry erase markers! As we went over the posterior distal leg muscles (a.k.a. the lower muscles on the back-side of the leg) I had them draw the outline of the muscles - the origin and insertion of the muscles on my legs and tell me what actions I needed to engage my foot/legs into in order to have the proper palpation and function of the muscles we were working on.


It was hilarious. Some of the students looked at me like I was freakin' crazy, and the others were having fun with it. There's one student who is so smart, that simple things have to be done in a fun way in order to make it "click" for him. When he was drawing on my legs, he was visually and physically able to get it. He was having fun now that Kinesiology was making sense for him. I guess if I have to donate my body to the learning of massage therapy, might as well have fun doing it, eh?!?



No comments: