Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Bit of an Accent....

So, many of you know that when I was in high school (Kamehameha Schools) I went to Rarotonga, in the Cook Islands for a student exchange program. This was the summer between grades 11 and 12. Man alive, I can't express how fun and crazy that time was as well. Even though I am a Polynesian, it's sometimes weird to feel so white with my brown skin.


Seriously - if you haven't read my blog entry about going to Hawai'i in 2009 with my friend Julie. Well, in the pictures, you'll see me sipping on a coconut. I believe I wrote something to the effect of "here's a picture of two coconuts". It's true. Sometimes I feel like I'm brown on the outside but white on the inside! LOL... truth is, I'm just me.... with all my awkward and quirkiness.


Anyway, I met this lady (before I got to have a massage!!!!!). Her name is Anna. Needless - to - say, she had questions about the massage school of which I was able to help her with. But, when I got to the counter to speak with her, I had this instant bond with her and I didn't quite know why - yet. It wasn't until she spoke a few words... I knew I was speaking to another island native. She was from Australia. It was quite hilarious when she kept talking, my Cook Island accent started coming back out. My co-workers were staring at me and laughing their butts off. Goodness, it felt weird to speak like that again, yet, I couldn't shut it off! My words were faltering until I accepted it and allowed it that it flowed without struggle. It was lovely.


When we hugged goodbye I felt that she was homesick and I told her "I know your heart is aching, and know that home is always going to be with you." She broke down in my arms... I held and embraced her while she cried. It was a beautiful little journey. I told her to call me next week and I'll take her to the water... one of my sacred place I like to go. Hopefully it will help her heal the ache of being so homesick.

No comments: