Monday, June 16, 2008

1/2 Marathon!!!

The morning was early and fresh dew lay quietly on the grass. My eyes opened about 6:15 am, blinking and thinking about the day ahead. In the silence of it all, I can hear my heart beating. I'm alive.

In my morning prayer, I plead and beg God for help to finish and complete this run. Most importantly, that I would have more than enough energy to finish, and that He would be my running partner.

I wake to make breakfast and to "gear up" for the run. I jump in the shower to awaken the last fibers of my being. My running pants and shoes, although still damp, are slipped on and of course, by this time, I'm supposed to be at the starting line in 10 minutes.

There's a rap at the door and I answer it to greet Katie S. What a pleasant surprise!

I walk the half a block to the starting area, where runners of all shapes, sizes, ages etc., are dressed in a colorful array of t-shirt's, tanks etc. Some have music contraptions of various shapes and sizes. The human species stretching. Talking. Laughing.

There I was, conjoining with the rest to await the loud fog horn. Watches were clicked to time oneself, and the slow pitter-patter of tennis shoes meeting the pavement have begun. It's 7:30 am, and the 1/2 marathon has begun.

My body screams, "What are you doing?", my mind replies "You're running a 1/2 marathon."

The first 2 miles were easy. On to mile 3, I was greeted by Brittany and Tamra with signs on the car. Barney Dairy Road was very kind. One of the signs read "Never Underestimate the Color of Pink" and "Tu Puedes Hacerlo". How I loved the motivation. The latter became my self affirmation around mile 9.

By mile 4, my stomach speaks to let me know "I'm hungry". I agreed. The next water/aid/food station was greeted with a big smile. My stomach was happy. Each food station after that was greeted with a hearty smile and request for water.

Hills, and hills, and more hills lay out in front of me. I run to the rhythm of the music protruding from the little "pink" ear buds. Juanes, Nellie Furtado, Foo Fighters, Jesse McCarthy, Alicia Keys, Usher, Little Big Town, and Paramore were just a few of my running companions. Most bringing a smile to my weary lips.

The view is beautiful. I gauge where I am, and how much longer I have by the different land marks. A few being, the shed on a hill, the Grand Tetons, the Rexburg Temple, the Water Tower.

I run up to and visit with a few people whom seem to have a slight limp etc. I greet, meet, assess and continue on.

Mile 9, my left knee begins to ache.

Mile 10, my feet are a bit tender.

Mile 10 1/2 - 11, my right ankle begins to hurt.

Mile 12 & 13. Miles I've run previously with ease, now seemed endless. Tears well, as I head toward main street and I hear and see the orange shirted volunteers cheering and shouting words of encouragement. I'm exhausted. Previous runners line the last few yards all clapping and cheering. My legs pick up speed, and I see the time clock.

Click, click, click. I see the time clock. I can do this. I cross the finish line. I'm done.

I finished my first 1/2 marathon.

Water, metal, and friends awaited. All I wanted... food. Gatorade, water, watermelons, oranges, and great harvest bread were my companions as I sat and waited in line for 2 hours to get a massage. It was worth it.

Here are a few pictures and one with my "battle scars". I was purple, but now I'm red. =)





No comments: