It seems a little weird to think that I've only been here in Mississippi for one week. The time has slowly passed. I find myself focused on my little day-to-day tasks and not so much as to what's going on at home, with the family, with friends, or too far in the future. I think, for the first time in my life, I'm actually living in the NOW. A strange, yet, comforting experience.
Since being here, I've had the opportunity to view the local wild life. On Kaua'i we have chickens. In Idaho, it's the field rats, elk, and occasional stray dog. In Mississippi, it's the skunks. Yes, dear friends, there are skunks galore. Strange indeed.
Unfortunately, the food has not gotten better - however, it's free right? So, I really shouldn't be complaining. BUT, let me tell you a little story about what happened at one of the"Breakfast Club" meetings. And as many of you know, I'm not a very good story teller, so you'll have to bear with me. I'll try to remember to add in the "applause", "laugh", etc... when appropriate. :)
So, the other morning, Allen, Sgt Wallace and I sat down to breakfast. **oohhh** ("The Breakfast Club" as Sgt Wallace indicated one morning.) We signed in on yet another roster, received our breakfast for the morning (trying to vary and change up the same breakfast for the past week is a little difficult), placed my tray down, went back for fruit, yogurt, and my liquids. There. I was ready to eat! **applause**
I made a comment that there was a lot of butter on my grits and proceeded to push the in-view cholesterol to the side. Hm, well, the eggs look a bit better- especially since I dolled it up with cheese! Glorious cheese! **applause** I dip my fork and bring the delightful looking contents to my lips. Chomp-chomp... spit! Ugh! **gasp** I spat out my eggs on my tray and the rest in my napkin. Allen and Sgt Wallace were staring at me with that... "um, that's a little rude" look. I began to smile and maybe even chuckled... I gave a quick light-hearted laugh and told them that I just ate stick of butter. **laugh, knee slap, applause, laugh harder**
"WHAT!", was the reply. Much to our amazement, I moved the remaining cheese to the side, and there you go- in my eggs there was an ever so slowly melting stick of butter! **laugh**
I knew that our eggs were imitation eggs, but I didn't think they'd make "butter" try to taste like eggs and then feed it to us! LOL!!!! Point being - these southern folk reaaallllyyyyy love their butter!
Moral of the story - eat hard boiled eggs!
3 comments:
Yum!!! Maybe I will send you some butter... ok not. :) Love you!
P-
Thanks for letting us know how things are going for you. I would also be spitting out mouthfuls of butter. :) Not too much going on around here. Andrew's wedding was this past weekend, and we all survived that, though we had some close calls. Were there some books you wanted us to send you? I can't remember if you decided to take real books or a Kindle. Love you!
Pili, you're awesome! By the way, is there anyway to reach you while you're stationed abroad?
Post a Comment