Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Mother's Day Tribute to Doreen Pilialoha Baclayon

I have been blessed with great motherly influences in my life. But none with compensate for my birth mother, Doreen Pilialoha Baclayon.





May I briefly share a memorable experience that has touched my life these many years.
I was a Senior at Kamehameha Schools on O'ahu, Hawai'i. At this specific time in my life, I really wanted to be home with my family on Kaua'i, and not go to school on another island. I was dealing with mid-terms, the death of one of my dear friends and teacher from the Cook Islands, was in couseling because of Maine Tutai's death and just in a bad space.

I headed to Hale Ola, our infermary on campus, and was laying down on one of the beds in the back. I was there just a few minutes when the thought came to mind, "I wish my mom was here." No sooner had I thought those words, my mom walks through the door to where I was. "Mommy? Is that really you?" I was crying. My mom said she had a feeling that she needed to come to see me, so she hopped on the next flight to see me.

Even though my teen years were spent at a boarding school, away from my family, that moment will forever help me understand the principle of "Listening to the Spirit", and to act on our impressions. They call it "Mother's Inuition", I call it "Divine Intervention". The Lord couldn't be there to help me through that tough time, but He knew my Mother could.

Thanks mom for nearly 28 great years.

Much love,
Pili girl~

1 comment:

Tutu Kane _ Tutu Hine said...

Thank you Ms. Pilialoha for that beautiful tribute. ..that truly is one of my "AHA" moments when I listen to the promptings. . .it was such a special time for me too!. . .I really wanted you children home, but Kamehameha schooling and on a full scholarship, I had to sacrifice it all for your education, however, I did ask the LORD TO ALWAYS LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU AND YOUR BROTHER NEEDED ME, AND HE DID. . .OH HOW i ACHE FOR THOSE DAYS AAGAIN, I truly miss you children. . .it seems like time flew by so quickly. . .Loads of love Eternally, Mommie