Friday, May 15, 2009

ROTC, Ropes Course & Addiction

Well, let's just start with the addiction since I know everyone is wondering... "what the heck is she talking about?". Sugar. My friends... it's sugar. Yes, I, Ms. Pilialoha Baclayon, have a freakin' sugar addiction. Not just any old sugar but "Bit-O-Honey" candy kind of sugar. BLAH!!!! With any addiction, too much of a substance or a particular "something" is not good. Thus, I have identified my problem and will be working on sugar detoxing these next two weeks. Meaning?

Hi, my name is Pili. And I'm a Bit-O-Honey addict.

Now that we've established my weakness... ROTC. Yesterday we had lab for ROTC and well... I rocked! It was a lot of fun. I learned quite a bit about myself and also about those in my squad. First, I must say that I am out of shape... AGAIN! You know, having an injury really stinks! You never know just how far backwards you've gone until you try to do something that was easy for you almost 2 months ago. (Sad day.) For example, we formed up and headed up a hill to the ropes course area where we were to conduct our lab. We walked pretty fast to get there, and for the most part, I kept up with my squad leader. (I was third in line.) When we had to "double-time", I started huffing and puffing, and feeling like I was going to blow MYSELF over. (pun intended.) Needless-to-say, I don't think my squad leader was really impressed. So... I now have a goal to start running/jogging hills to increase my endurance and lung capacity. It should be good.

The ropes course was fantastic. I wish I had pictures to post on here, but ONCE AGAIN, I'm a dork and forgot to take my camera with me. However, we did a lot of team building exercises, and also did an individual event... the Giant Swing. May I just say that I absolutely LOVE the Giant Swing. Granted, my heart started pounding and all senses started to go numb as I ascended and was pulled by my teammates, however, when I let go it was the best feeling in the world. I loved that I could fly and just "be free". If that's what bungee jumping or sky diving feels like, I'M HOOKED! That event was all about me overcoming my fear of 1. trusting others, 2. trusting myself & 3. trusting that when I let go it's about using my senses to overcome those fears and push past them. Exhilarating!

We had three other events, however, the other one worth mentioning would have to be "The Wall". We had to get everyone over the wall within 3 minutes and no talking was allowed. It was a great event. At the end, when our facilitator would ask the group if we feel like we contributed to the group to step forward, stay in our same spot if we felt we did "okay", or step back if we didn't feel like we did anything at all or didn't like the event. We all stepped forward. Each person had to share why he/she felt like they contributed. When it came to me, I kind of have a complex to the affect that I don't like to draw attention in the "I did this..." sort of way. But, I did state that when I saw my squad leader hurting, I stepped in and took his spot to hoist the rest of our team up. It truly was a great time.

Okay. Now, do you remember me talking about combatives last semester? Well! My dear friends... my squad leader is Onken... the person I took combatives from. He is starting to implement and teach another person about the program. I get to join him and a few of the other people to pilot test it. He said that it was going to be different that just the regular combatives that he's taught, but that it'll be more intense than the last.

Honestly, I'm totally excited! Tomorrow will be another great day!

P.S. Sunday I leave for my Moab trip with work. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. =) YEAH FOR ME! I get to go on another adventure! (About bloody time, eh!?!)

No comments: