Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Speeding for a Spiritual Purpose

So, the funny things come when you get caught for "Speeding for a Spiritual Purpose".

I decided to stay an extra night at Island Park and to make sure that I got to church. Reason being? To qualify for blessings in order to sing well on Thursday (for the Education Week opening devotional).

I head back to Rexburg for what is an hour drive. At the bottom of the hill, I begin to go around the person in front of me. I also look down and turn on the radio to find "KBYI" the local BYU-Idaho radio station that usually plays devotional talks, or has LDS songs on it. I look up to see where I'm going and notice that I'm probably going a bit fast. As I lay off the accelerator, my eye catches the beautiful spinning of red and blue lights in my rear view mirror. The police are happy and eager to make my acquaintance.

Mr. Baxter comes strolling up to my door, asks for license, registration and proof of insurance. I reach into my jockey box to get the requested items. "Crap!" Is the only thought occupying my mind. I forgot that I had just cleaned out my car right before I went to Island park. Registration and all were at home in a leisure spot on my couch. Long story short, I received a lovely gift from the officer. A speeding ticket of $140. I graciously accepted his gift, smiled, and took off. (I don't think that stopped me from driving "direct".)

I got home, threw on a skirt and walked across the street to church.

I had the honor of sitting next to Bryan Bybee of whom I shared my latest adventure. We had a chuckle. To my dismay, our intermediate hymn was "Choose the Right", and the concluding speaker spoke on agency and making good choices. (Bybee and I kept laughing!)

During Relief Society, the talk was on "Living our lives in accordance with God, that we may stand blameless before him". Hm... I think I was being rebuked by God!

So, let's review:

1) In a hurry to attend church to a) pay tithing, b) qualify for blessings to get help to sing for Ed Week devotional c) sped to get to work on time d) got pulled over after not paying attention while looking for KBYI e) intermediate hymn is "Choose the Right" f) talk on Agency & good choices g) living lives in a God-like manner and the kicker h) I got a church calling as the "Emergency Preparedness Specialist".

Needless to say, I've only sped once since then, and it was only to keep up with Grover Wray taking the Chicago Urban Studies boys to the airport on time.

Moral of the story... plan to leave places early, don't procrastinate your time of departure, and set your cruise control when looking for a religious music channel!

2 comments:

Emily and James said...

That is hilarious Pili Girl! :) Isn't it funny how Heavenly Father gives us little teaching moments like that? :) Hope you are well!

Pili girl~ said...

Hi Emaline!!!

ha ha ha! Amen! Are you and James still in Vegas? Hope you are well too! Much love!