Saturday, February 6, 2016

Healing the Heart

I received an e-mail from a friend this past Sunday. When I first saw the person's name I got nervous but read the subject line: I'm Sorry.

Healing the heart, the full darkness of the heart, has been quite the adventure that I wish on no one and yet hope that everyone gets the chance to purge, feel and heal. To be honest, it is so overwhelming. I've been crying for days and have even had a little freak out at work. (I'm glad I didn't have any customers at that time.)

Just because some people won't be together in this lifetime doesn't mean that the time they shared was for naught.

I've learned that to love someone first and foremost, you must - MUST love yourself. Love ALL of yourself; the good, bad, rights, wrongs, light and darkness. It seems that even when I didn't love myself as much as I thought I did, I still loved others. Now, that I love myself totally, that love for others in the past has just been intensified. Almost overwhelming.

I know that one of my purposes here on Earth is to love. To receive love, to share love, to be love, to experience different kinds of love. It's always been that way since I was little. It's many of the meanings of my Hawaiian name. But I'm sure I didn't know how much loving people can not only feel amazing, wonderful, change and heal people/places/things, but also hurt. Not just hurt as in "I just fell and hurt my knee", but the soul wrenching ache.

I have been blessed to love and be in love. Each has played a significant part of my life and I no longer regret any of my experiences with them. I've learned, grown and have become better because of it. That is more than I can ever ask. I embrace those experiences like an old friend and love them like the sway of a tree being lullabied by the whispering breeze.

Thank you all for loving me and for letting me love you along our paths of life.

I love you, too.

No comments: