Friday, July 26, 2013

And then... I danced.

Tonight I was supposed to work on one of my mom's hula students, however, my mom didn't read her text message indicating that her student wasn't going to see me this evening. (Such is life.) Before I knew this, I decided that I would hang out in my mom's halau (hula school). There were people there that, of course I didn't know but my mom keeps telling me that "so and so is related to so and so; and this is so and so's cousin and her family"... etc.

This weekend my cousin Nae was supposed to dance a solo hula for my mom at a wedding reception, but Nae has a church function to attend for her ministry; leaving us without a solo dancer. So, of course with my bright idea, I volunteered to dance. Um, I know that sounds fantastic and all, however, I haven't danced in front of an audience since being in Iraq - 2 years ago where I danced in boots and ACUs. Before that? Who knows! I think the last hula I danced in front of an audience was... 2007ish? Gads - that's a while ago!

With time on my hands, I asked my mom what hula I was going to dance, and she said, "you're a solo, you can dance whatever you want". Normally, I would pull some random old school number out of my behind, but I don't even remember any of those! So, I looked at my mom, and with pleading eyes, asked her, "will you teach me a hula?" (Okay, maybe not with pleading eyes, but I did ask her to teach me a dance.) She smiled and did.

It's the song: "Ke Aloha" by Natalie Ai Kamauu. It's my Auntie Renee's choreography, and man alive - I loved it! I can't tell you how sore my hips are from dancing hula (and a bit of Tahitian afterward), but it felt good to dance again. Once I got the hula down, I got to be more expressive in my movements and it felt AMAZING! The hula is absolutely beautiful.

In Idaho I had a friend ask me to dance a hula for him, and I blushingly denied... but now?... Heck yes! Bring on the peeps, Pili's got her hula groove back! Ha ha ha Okay, maybe not my "hula groove".

See, this trip has been an eye opener, a Chakra opener, a healing trip one of Spirituality, focus and direction, singing and guitar playing, and then... I danced.

one love~

No comments: